AccessABLE Rec. Program Assistant Summer Day Camp
AccessABLE Rec. Program Assistant
Summer Day Camp
"Providing traditional, innovative, and affordable quality services (activities, programs, and facilities) for Rochester's citizens and visitors."
Nature of Work
This is a temporary/seasonal position that provides assistance to individuals ages 5-25 with intellectual and physical disabilities attending the Go Play Explore Recreation program. Candidates will assist individuals with activities including games, crafts, music therapy, and pool & gym activities. Additionally candidates will assist participants with personal care needs as well as ensure all participants are supervised for safety at all times.
HOURLY RATE OF PAY: $13.00 to $16.00 per hour, depending on qualifications/experience
SCHEDULE/START DATE: Monday-Friday, June 20-August 19, 2022
HOURS: 12:00pm-5:30 pm
PREREQUISITE FOR HIRING: Must be able to attend two day training on June 16th and 17th
*Pursuant to MN Statute, seasonal assignments are limited to 67 working days per calendar year or 100 working days per calendar year if the employees are under the age of 22, are full-time students enrolled in a nonprofit or public educational institution prior to being hired by the employer, and have indicated, either in an application for employment or by being enrolled at an educational institution for the next academic year or term, an intention to continue as students during or after their temporary employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides physical support, hand-over-hand assistance, and verbal cueing.
- Completes all personal care and ensures the ongoing safety of program participants with intellectual and physical disabilities attending the AccessABLE Rec. Programs
- Attends all essential meetings and trainings required for the position.
- Assists with the physical set up and cleanup of program equipment & supplies; ensures proper care and use of all property (i.e. equipment, supplies, facility, etc.) associated with or in use by the program.
- Responsible to follow all behavioral and communication protocols according to each client's specific needs.
- Follows all AccessABLE Rec. Employee policies and procedures as listed in the Employee Handbook.
- Completes all paperwork in a thorough and timely manner including but not limited to Incident/Accident Report forms, time sheets, and other required paperwork.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
*Must be at least 16 years of age.
*Demonstrate the ability to be adaptable, flexible, creative, and patient.
*Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
*Ability to take instruction and work cooperatively in a team setting.
*Must be physically capable of withstanding outdoor activities in heat, cold and other types of weather conditions.
*Physically capable of participating in a wide-range of physical activities such as carrying/lifting, transferring, swimming, running, walking, and other physical activity over an extended period of time.
*Ability to act in a professional manner when dealing with program participants, families of program participants, coworkers and supervisors.
- Experience performing similar work
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
In consideration of the overall amount of physical effort required to perform this position, the work is best described as Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Physical demands that may be required continuously (2/3 or more of the time), frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time) are noted below:
Continuous demands: sitting, standing, walking, fine dexterity, handling
Frequent demands: lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching
Occasional demands: kneeling, crouching, bending, twisting
Sensory requirements necessary in the performance of the essential functions of this position include: sight, hearing, and touch
Environmental conditions that may exist in the performance of the essential functions of this job include:
Extreme heat (above 100 degrees)
Work outdoors (no effective protection from weather)