Event Assistant - Mobile Recreation (Limited Appointment/Seasonal Opportunity)
(Limited Appointment/Seasonal Opportunity)
The City of Rochester, Minnesota (pop. 115,000+) Park and Recreation Department provides a variety of leisure time opportunities for people to enjoy and manages more than 4100 acres of park land including 4 golf courses, over 100 individual parks and 85 miles of paved trails.
"Providing traditional, innovative, and affordable quality services (activities, programs, and facilities) for Rochester's citizens and visitors."
This is a temporary/seasonal/limited appointment position that assists with and supervises youth in recreation programs offered by a Mobile Recreation Unit by interacting with the public and providing instruction and information on a variety of recreation topics. This position works independently with limited supervision and must be able to interact with the public in a professional, courteous, and helpful manner.
$13.00 to $16.00 per hour.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The work below is representative of the scope of work performed within this job classification. Individual job duties will vary based on work assignment.
- Prepares program equipment and supplies for different programming at park locations. Engages youth in fitness, recreational and educational activities. Ensures the safety of program participants. Set up and tear down equipment and store equipment and supplies in mobile recreation trailer.
- Assists with the maintenance and upkeep of program equipment.
- Critiques and provides input on activities. Maintains files with information on program participation.
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be able to physically able to perform the duties of this position which includes, lifting/moving objects weighing between 10 and 100 lbs
- Have the ability to provide basic instruction to youth; participate in mild-to-moderate recreational activities/sports; recognize and redirect misbehavior; interact with the public and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner; display an attitude of cooperation; understand and comply with all rules, policies and regulations; maintain prompt and regular attendance
Knowledge of: common communications equipment such as a cell phone
Skill in: providing excellent customer service; interpersonal skills; organization; time management; verbal and written communication
Ability to: deal tactfully and courteously with patrons, and other users; work outdoors; to work alone or with groups of people for long periods of time; demonstrate teamwork skills in order to accomplish Parks & Rec goals quickly and efficiently; understand and carry out oral and written assignments; work self-directed; follow oral and written instructions to learn assigned tasks, and to adhere to prescribed procedures; maintain regular and reliable attendance.