NERC Compliance Project Manager
The City of Rochester invites applications for:
NERC Compliance Project Manager
Rochester Public Utilities
To build a vibrant and equitable city, we strive to be an organization where all teammates are treated with dignity and respect.
The City of Rochester is committed to being a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and to be their best as part of a vibrant, compassionate, and innovative team.
RPU, a division of the City of Rochester, MN, is the largest municipal utility in the State of Minnesota. RPU serves over 57,000 electric customers and 41,000 water customers in a 60 square mile service area, and has revenues nearing $161 million annually.
Vision- "We Will Set the Standard for Service"
Our vision is based on six core values which are Safety, Integrity, Service, Stewardship, Accountability, and Skill.
This is a professional position, with the primary duties and responsibilities as a Project Manager within Rochester Public Utilities' (RPU) NERC Compliance Program, to ensure compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO) Reliability Standards, and Midwest Independent System Operator (MISO) electric system operations standards, policies and procedures. This position will also provide technical guidance, advice, and support to RPU's Subject Matter Experts (SME's) in the development of RPU's compliance processes and procedures. The NERC Compliance Project Manager is supervised by RPU's Manager of system Operations/Reliability and is expected to perform primary and additional duties and responsibilities under limited supervision and general guidance.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The work below is representative of the scope of work performed within this job classification. Individual job duties will vary based on work assignment or location.
*NERC Compliance Program Administration and Development.
Ensure RPU's continued compliance with all applicable NERC Reliability Standards and support internal RPU staff by performing the following:
- Technical review, evaluation, and project management responsibilities for changes to applicable Operations, Planning, and CIP NERC standards with affected Subject Matter Experts to ensure continued compliance.
- Project management in the proactive development and updates to plans, procedures, and record keeping for new or revised NERC standards with RPU subject matter experts.
- Maintain and improve RPU's overall NERC Compliance Program systems and processes to ensure compliance with NERC Compliance Monitoring & Enforcement Program (CMEP), NERC Rules of Procedures (ROP), NERC Alerts and NERC Event Analysis and Performance.
- Develop and maintain evidence databases, compliance tracking software, and reporting tools to achieve consistency and efficiency in RPU's documentation and procedures.
- Represent RPU on applicable MRO/MISO/NERC compliance committees and working groups as a Subject Matter Expert.
- Serve as project manager for company compliance related projects and as a representative on various RPU project teams.
Provide technical guidance, advice, and support within RPU's NERC Compliance Program relating to the following function pertaining to NERC auditing:
- Act as RPU's primary compliance contact to the MRO to coordinate all activities required for an on-site MRO audits, quarterly self-certifications, data requests, and follow-up action items, which includes evidence submittal and internal direction of subject matter experts.
- Participation in the proactive development and updates to plans, procedures, Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAW'S), and recordkeeping of evidence with indirect reports acting as internal RPU subject matter experts.
- Coordinate the development, technical review and submittal of compliance evidence, quarterly self-certifications, data requests, NERC Alerts, Technical Feasibility Exceptions (TFE's), corrective action plans, self-reports and mitigation plans.
- Coordinate the dissemination of information from the MRO and NERC to subject matter experts relating to data requests, evidence handling and submittals, as well as new filing requirements.
Provide technical guidance, advice, and support within RPU's NERC Compliance Program relating to the following oversight and analysis responsibilities:
- Review internal controls of RPU's policies and procedures to ensure compliance with NERC standards, guidelines and policies.
- Provide technical/administration guidance and advice to subject matter experts for ensuring compliance with all NERC and MRO approved standards and requirements.
- Respond promptly to external and internal concerns.
- Develop and provide comprehensive training as needed.
- Coordinate and lead internal self-audits and gap analyses to verify, oversee and monitor that RPU's policies and procedures are compliant with the NERC Reliability Standard requirements by performing analysis of compliance evidence and recommend priorities and goals for current and future company compliance needs.
- Ensure the quality, appropriateness, and responsiveness of all submitted compliance evidence pertaining to for MRO audits, quarterly self-certifications, data requests.
- Perform statistical, logical or mathematical analysis as needed for special studies and reports.
- Present analysis results to the Manager of System Operations/Reliability, RPU's Executive Team, and/or the Utility Board as requested.
Provide technical guidance, advice, and support within RPU relating to the following electric Engineering responsibilities:
- Perform Transmission Planning studies utilizing PSS/e as required by NERC Standards, MRO, MISO, or regional Transmission Operating utilities.
- Provide guidance, advice, and support to RPU's System Operations group in a technical capacity for the development and/or review of transmission and generation Bulk Power System Operating Guides.
- Act as the subject matter expert for regional transmission expansion and generator interconnection planning studies,
- Prepare, develop, and submit the technical responses for Bulk Power System generation and 100 kV and above transmission data requests from MISO, MRO, and NERC.
- Provide project management support for System Operations internal projects and process improvements.
- Represent RPU as a technical SME on MISO, MRO, NERC, or regional utility committees, working groups, and drafting teams.
Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited four-year college or university; AND at least three (3) years of electrical engineering experience within the electric utility industry with duties in NERC regulatory compliance, transmission planning, or system operations. Relevant experience includes any of the following types of experience:
- NERC project management
- NERC Standard audits process
- Collecting data and reports for compliance monitoring and assessment
- Assist in the preparation of self-reports and mitigation plans
- Development of System Operations processes and procedures
- Transmission Planning
Licenses, Certifications and Training
Valid driver's license
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering with power option.
- Designation as a Professional Engineer (PE)
- Familiarity with MISO business practices.
- Experience with PSS/e software
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Operating policies and procedures for interconnected operations including, the NERC Reliability Standards, utility specific operating policies, other federal and state regulations.
- Principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical power transmission and generation systems.
- Electrical utility facilities such as substation equipment, generation equipment, control schemes, relay functions and type, transmission line terminology, equipment, locations, and equipment ratings capacities.
- Occupational hazards involved in working with generation facilities, high-voltage lines, transmission and distribution equipment;
- Computer network design and cyber protection.
- Proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Database and Document Management systems experience preferred.
- Strong leadership skills to influence, motivate, increase productivity and maintain a positive image both within the department and as a representative and employee of the utility.
- Time-management, including the ability to plan, document, prioritize, coordinate, and delegate work.
- Interpersonal and listening skills, with the ability to build productive professional relationships and promote a team atmosphere.
- Attention to detail in complex environments.
- Project management and building productive teams.
- Problem-solving, including problem identification and analysis.
- Effective communication.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Think strategically, with focus on achieving tactical and operational goals
- Understand and follow NERC Compliance Standards, System Operations Procedures and other established written procedures and guidelines.
- Write procedures, policies, and Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAW'S), including construction of compliance evidence.
- Performed power flow studies.
- Think strategically but also focus on tactical and operational issues.
- Comprehend technical concepts quickly.
- Work independently with only general guidance to complete complex duties, requiring independent judgment, analysis and interpretation of policy.
- Effectively prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adjust work priorities as needed to meet department/organizational objectives.
- Work as part of a team, either as team leader or a member of a team.
- Drive results and ensure work is accomplished properly, safely, and in a timely manner.
- Use discretion in maintaining confidentiality and handling sensitive information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
In consideration of the overall amount of physical effort required to perform this position, the work is best described as Sedentary Work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Physical demands that may be required continuously (2/3 or more of the time), frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time) are noted below:
Continuous demands: Sitting, Fine Dexterity.
Note: this position requires a majority of time (up to 75%) spent in a seated position.
Sensory requirements necessary in the performance of the essential functions of this position include: sight, hearing, and touch.
Environmental conditions that may exist in the performance of the essential functions of this job include:
NONE (not substantially exposed to environmental conditions)