Park Security Foster Arends Park (Seasonal Opportunity)
Foster Arends Park
The City of Rochester, Minnesota (pop. 115,000+) Park and Recreation Department provides a variety of leisure time opportunities for people to enjoy and manages more than 3500 acres of park land including over 100 individual parks and 85 miles of paved trails.
"Providing traditional, innovative, and affordable quality services (activities, programs, and facilities) for Rochester's citizens and visitors."
This is a part-time seasonal/temporary position that provides security for Foster Arend Beach and Park. Park Security Officers are expected to be observant and provide a visible deterrence to disruptions at the beach and park. Officers enforce rules and regulations, ensure access control, and prevent theft. Officers create a safe, secure and professional environment by interacting with the public, vendors, and other staff by employing their training and following Parks & Rec policies and instructions.
Positions will be scheduled to work Monday through Thursday, from Noon until 9:00 PM, weather permitting.
$12.00-16.00 per hour.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The work below is representative of the scope of work performed within this job classification. Individual job duties will vary based on work assignment or location.
- Welcome patrons and guests, offer assistance and answer questions, thank guests as they depart.
- Provide a visual deterrence by maintaining high visibility at all times.
- Conduct detailed observations of people and property within their area of responsibility.
- Enforce rules and regulations of the venue at all times.
- Prevent theft or damage of property.
- Conduct foot patrols or fulfill standing posts in their area of responsibility as directed.
- Ensure that all guests have left the beach before locking the gate at closing.
- Contact their supervisor when a situation occurs outside of their training & knowledge.
- Contact law enforcement or emergency responders when appropriate.
- Provide detailed written reports of incidents that occur within their area of responsibility.
- Work all assigned hours and be available for additional assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Possess a High School diploma or the equivalent (GED)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have the ability to deal professionally and tactfully with the public
- Experience performing similar job duties
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: common communications equipment such as a cell phone
Skill in: providing excellent customer service; interpersonal skills; organization; time management; verbal and written communication
Ability to: deal tactfully and courteously with patrons, and other users of Foster Arend Beach & Park; work outdoors; stand and walk for several hours at a time; speak confidently and professionally with people or groups; to work alone or with groups of people for long periods of time; demonstrate teamwork skills in order to accomplish Parks & Rec goals quickly and efficiently; understand and carry out oral and written assignments; work self-directed; follow oral and written instructions to learn assigned tasks, and to adhere to prescribed procedures; maintain regular and reliable attendance.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
This position requires the majority of the work day spent working outdoors, either standing or walking.
Some lifting and carrying is required with weights of objects ranging from ten (10) to (50) pounds and occasionally up to one hundred (100) pounds.
Climbing or walking on uneven terrain is often required along with movements such as bending, twisting, and kneeling.