Public Health Strategist
Minimum Qualifications of Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in public health, epidemiology, public administration, business administration, statistics, or related field and three (3) years of experience in a similar position as listed in the work functions.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in public health, epidemiology, public administration, business administration, statistics, or related field and two (2) years of experience in a similar position as listed in the work functions.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to seven (7) years of experience in a similar position as listed in the work functions.
Regular and reliable attendance is a necessary component of job/position. Individuals required to use County vehicles and equipment must have a valid driver’s license and be free of any major traffic violations for the last three (3) years.
Under general supervision, independently leads the implementation, maintenance, and oversight of complex, effective and efficient public health-related processes and systems including analyzing complex population health data, public health accreditation/reaccreditation efforts, strategic planning, and performance management. Develops complex strategic metrics and goals, creates reports, and analyzes data from multiple data sources. Oversees ongoing development and measurement of public health strategic outcomes and goals.Examples of Work
- Leads the analysis of public health statistical data and prepares narratives and reports to depict gaps, errors and trends and effectively communicates recommendations, solutions, or alternative methods to potential problems.
- Leads and facilitates meetings with staff, from a variety of disciplines, on the analysis of processes and program performance, identifies challenges, determines continuous improvement strategies (operational and strategic) including the use of data to drive decision making and prioritization to guide consensus action planning.
- Leads, creates, and maintains effective strategic planning processes, including the development of performance measures.
- Leads the creation and implementation of solutions to address complex public health issues, in collaboration with management and internal stakeholders.
- Facilitates the department’s efforts in implementing Public Health 3.0 and 21st Century Public Health framework.
- Analyzes performance and effectiveness using indicator data, recommends targets, and monitors progress.
- Leads, develops, recommends, and administers quantitative and qualitative tools in organizational performance management.
- Assists with departmental accreditation efforts, obtaining and maintaining accreditation status.
- Serves as project manager on Public Health activities requiring subject matter expertise, oversight of strategic priorities and distribution of work.
- Performs other duties as required
- Thorough knowledge of statistical and evaluation principles
- Considerable knowledge of organizational priorities and strategy
- Considerable knowledge of quality improvement principles and practices
- Considerable knowledge of health outcomes, public health, and biostatistics
- Considerable knowledge of social determinants of health
- Skill in the use of statistical and evaluation principles, including the use of statistical software, i.e., SAS, SPSS, R, STATA or other analysis tools
- Skill in developing and utilizing detailed project work plans
- Skill in the use of motivational techniques and team building
- Skill in analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Skill in interpersonal, written, and verbal communication
- Ability to concurrently manage multiple complex projects by prioritizing work based on organizational and departmental needs and responsibilities
- Ability to facilitate meetings with staff from a variety of disciplines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization
- Ability to analyze complex data, identify trends and recommend actions
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information
- Ability to create detailed reports and visual aids with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to influence others and build consensus within a group
- Ability to work independently