The City of Rochester welcomes applications for
Rochester Public Utilities
Vision- "We Will Set the Standard for Service"
Our vision is based on six core values which are Safety, Integrity, Service, Stewardship, Accountability, and Skill.
We believe EQUITY should be at the center of all our work. We strive to represent our community in our teammates, as we know that diverse and inclusive teams are more innovative, and have an empowering impact on the work, progress and culture of our community.
It takes us all working together
Nature of Work
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and providing ongoing support for software application systems. Responsibilities include business process analysis; database and application design, implementation and support; data analysis and reporting.
The 2022 starting salary range is $75,358 to $88,656 with advancement to $110,822.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The work below is representative of the scope of work performed within this job classification. Individual job duties will vary based on work assignment.
- Work effectively with users to ensure that open communications are maintained.
- Provide guidance regarding business process and technical feasibility.
- Provide ongoing status reports to users to ensure that user expectations are being met.
- Review and analyze business processes.
- Provide recommendations based on research and applications knowledge that will improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and security of the business process in alignment with customer requirements and expectations.
- Identify guidelines to be used for preparing specifications and implementation schedules.
- Prepare specifications for presentation and output, workflow, business rules and data management based upon the design guidelines.
- Ensure that specifications meet internal standards and user approval.
- Prepare implementation scope, budgets, and timelines based upon detail specifications.
- Maintain project management controls to ensure that implementation scope, budgets, and timelines are met.
- Configure, code, test and debug applications to specifications.
- Prepare documentation to accurately describe the application and internal process flow.
- Install applications and ensures that they interact properly with existing applications.
- Develop and provide training to users as required.
- Troubleshoot processing problems and recommend appropriate solutions independently or with service providers as needed.
- Enhance applications to conform to changing requirements.
- Support ongoing maintenance and upgrades as needed.
- Design, develop, implement and maintain databases/data systems; ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) systems and processes to support operational and analytical applications.
- Acquire, wrangle, and analyze data using statistical techniques and tools. Identify and interpret trends or patterns in data sets.
- Work closely with users to develop, implement and provide the on-going support for queries, reports and dashboards.
- Develop and implement data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality.
- Stay abreast of changes in the industry and provide recommendations to improve the performance and utilization of information system resources.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field from an accredited four-year college or university AND one (1) year of full-time employment experience;
An Associate's degree in computer science or closely related field from an accredited post-secondary program AND five (5) years of full-time employment experience;
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may also be considered.
- Experience in business analysis, project management, and technical training; application design/development, implementation, and support of software applications; database management, data engineering, and data analytics.
- Experiences in application development in Microsoft Azure, Office 365, Power Platform, SharePoint are highly desirable
- Project Management Certification, Microsoft Certification in related areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: business principles and analysis, systems analysis, design and implementation, database design, queries, and reporting, data analytics and visualization, compatible software application tools, programming languages, computer hardware and operating systems; compatible network and workstation equipment and operating software.
Ability to: analyze business processes and application system technical problems and develop satisfactory solutions; develop multi-tiered applications; work collaboratively with others, establish and maintain effective working relationships; create and maintain appropriate documentation; have a strong focus on customer service; entertain be curiosity and be willing to learn new information.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
In consideration of the overall amount of physical effort required to perform this position, the work is best described as Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Physical demands that may be required continuously (2/3 or more of the time), frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time) are noted below:
Continuous demands: sitting, fine dexterity,
Occasional demands: standing, walking, reaching, handling, lifting, carrying
Sensory requirements necessary in the performance of the essential functions of this position include: sight, hearing, and touch.
Environmental conditions that may exist in the performance of the essential functions of this job include: NONE (not substantially exposed to environmental conditions)