This position is responsible for selecting stories for broadcast, researching, writing and gathering newscast content. This position is also responsible for presenting live on TV and radio unscripted and scripted news reports.
- Originate and develop stories for broadcast and digital. May receive story ideas from management. Research and gather content for story. Write clear, accurate and interesting stories. Break down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand. Ensure that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impactful.
- Present live scripted and unscripted news reports; may present live stories from the scene of the news, the newsroom and/or studio or may tape stories for later broadcast.
- Travel to the scene of a news story to gather video and other information for broadcast.
- Write and post stories to website and other digital media platforms. Frequently update online stories.
- Shoot steady, sequenced video with good, clean audio for news, weather and sports for daily newscasts, specials and social media under tight deadlines and for multiple shows.
- Edit video satisfactorily for news stories such as vos, vo/sots, setups and reporter pacs using difference techniques and different editing machines under tight deadlines. Editing may be done at the station or remote location.
- Complete assignments according to established deadlines.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local and national current events.
- Make promotional and community appearances as required.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Contribute to the overall team effort to provide the market with the best possible local television journalism. Work in a team environment cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of people. Build working relationships with co-workers, community members, and the general public. Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Maintain appropriate standards with regard to wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and other areas of grooming.
- Attend editorial and strategic meetings. Contribute story ideas on a daily basis.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed
- Bachelors in Communication, Speech or related field with 2 years' experience as a news anchor; or a combination of education and experience to meet the requirements of the position.
- Quick and effective decision making, live ad-libbing and maintaining performance under extreme pressure.
- Highly developed public speaking and interpersonal skills along with exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Professional, consistent on-air appearance and ability to read Teleprompter.
- Advanced abilities in critical thinking.
- Broad knowledge of local, national and international affairs (e.g. political, economic, legislative and cultural).
- Comfortable yet professional presence on camera with the ability to improvise in a live on-camera setting.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Available to work on a flexible schedule.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and strict deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate and strict standards regarding wardrobe, hair, cosmetics and grooming.
For information regarding our benefits, please copy the link below and paste in your browser:
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding nearly 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
We are an equal opportunity employer.