IT and Broadcast Engineer
This position is responsible for the information technology systems and studio equipment for a television broadcast station. This position is based at KAAL-TV studios located in Rochester, MN.
- Programs, troubleshoots, and maintains systems including backup protocols to ensure information is preserved so station is protected in the event of catastrophic failure. Schedules maintenance as needed and performs regularly to ensure the integrity of systems. May assign duties to others.
- Supports and maintains a number of software applications. Provides technical support including troubleshooting and configuring, on all applications.
- Analyzes, researches and makes recommendations for software, hardware and other equipment updates and replacements as needed. Consults with station management and Corporate Information Services.
- Effectively work in a support capacity with all end-users. Introduce to new employees the basics of the current software platform.
- Develops and maintains proper system and configuration documentation, including emergency procedures. Develops and writes new training manuals and updating existing manuals for end-users in an organized, logical way. Maintains wiring diagrams and technical drawings.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair the video systems required for the operation of a TV broadcast facility.
- Respond quickly and efficiently in emergency situations to minimize revenue loss.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with a wide variety of people at different levels of the organization including news, management, support staff, corporate personnel, vendors and clients.
- Work required hours which may include evenings, overnights and weekends.
- Completes all projects and assignments on time and according to specifications.
- Works independently often. Regularly exercises discretion and good judgment.
- Performs regular and routine administrative duties.
- Available on-call for emergencies and other assignments as needed.
- A relevant certification, license or degree preferred or significant technical experience in computer hardware and operating systems.
- 2+ yrs of related work experience in IT and supporting end users preferably in broadcasting environments.
- Some broadcast engineering background preferred (Production truck, Video or Television Production. Knowledge of broadcast A/V theory and IT networking.
- Working knowledge of all relevant aspects of IT including software, hardware, applications and associate products required including.
- Windows based servers and associated desktop/laptop environments
- Windows and MAC based operating systems
- Database administration
- Data networks
- Server administration, backup and recovery
- Email administration
- Security, including intrusion detection/prevention
- Ability to work in pressure situations and tight deadlines.
- Effectively work with a variety of individuals at different levels of the organization.
- Able to handle on-call responsibilities and work odd hours (evenings, early mornings, weekends)
- Proven ability to work independently and be part of a team.
- Exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Previous experience working with end-users in a support capacity
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license or the ability to obtain such. Acceptable driving record as determined by the company to drive company vehicles.
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding nearly 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer.